St. John’s Lutheran Church - Green Valley

Welcome! We are a congregation of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), committed to sharing the hope and truth of Jesus Christ through God's Word. Whether you're exploring the Christian faith, looking for a church home, or simply visiting, we're glad you're here.

Our desire is to be a place where people of all ages can grow in faith, encourage one another, and serve our neighbors with Christ's love. We invite you to join us for worship, as we gather around God's gifts of forgiveness, love, and salvation.

We look forward to welcoming you and walking together in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

THE HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH

It was in the early 1870's that a small group of families left Sheboygan County and made the move toward the community. Our old records indicate to us that the names of these first settlers were; George Bast, Conrad Bohn, August Wicksberg, W. Wicksberg, P. Wendling, A.K. Wendling, F. Wendfields, F. Wendling, C. Lorenz, and K. Lorenz. In those days the land was very rugged and primitive and the homes and fields were built and cleared with the ax.

As these families labored and tilled the soil they recognized the need for spiritual food in their starved souls. Because of lack of roads, and the vast distances for public worship these early Christians asked that their home pastor from Sheboygan County come to serve and fill them with the proper spiritual diet.

Services were held regularly in the homes of these early settlers. Because of the many times that the pastor could not come, due to traveling conditions, the men of the area would conduct the service. When weather and road conditions permitted travel the pastor of Sheboygan County would conduct classes, baptize the young infants, confirm the children, marry the young people, and along with the entire congregation, celebrate the Lord's Supper.

The first pastors to serve this group of Christians were the Reverends J. Hauser and C.T. Martin of the Sheboygan congregations. On July 22, 1877 a congregation was organized in the area that has since been known as St. John's Congregation of the Town of Green Valley, Shawano County. The charter members were those listed above with George Bast serving as Congregational Chairman, and August Wicksberg serving as Trustee. Today those charter members have been called to their eternal rest, but many of their relatives and other members of the families remain in the area with a goodly portion still members of St. John's.

As the church today faces difficulties, so also years ago there were problems. The early group of Christ's followers had pastoral problems. They were small and could not support a resident pastor, roads were few and the transportation was not good. Thus, the early group in the area was forced to be content with irregular services by a number of different pastors.

The next challenge that faced the people was to construct a house of worship. In the year 1888, a small church building was erected on the present property of the congregation. Money was borrowed from the mission treasury to pay for the necessary expenses. John and Ann Knoener donated the land. In 1888 the congregation experienced regular services as they were served by Pastor J. Bierbaum of the Evangelical Church of Cecil.

It was in the year 1889 that St. John's became affiliated with what is now the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and was served by the pastors of Immanuel and Zion Evangelical Lutheran Churches in the Town of Washington and Hartland. As more and more Lutherans moved into the area, the Congregation grew in numbers and saw the need for expansion.

In 1926, a balcony was constructed with bell tower, chancel area, sacristy, and an anti-room for church vestments. The cost of the bell at that time was $359.00. In 1928 church pews were purchased by the Ladies Aid Society of the congregation at a cost of $395.00. A few years later electric lights were added to the church.

In 1953 the church basement was remodeled and in 1956 the upstairs was redecorated. In 1968 our present organ was purchased to replace our worn-out organ. In 1971 a new furnace was purchased and installed in the church. In 1975 the outside of the church was painted and the inside was insulated. In 1976 the church basement was redecorated and in 1977, the entire upstairs of the church was redecorated.

Our own members have done most of the work to improve the church and grounds. The Ladies Aid Society of the congregation has contributed much time and substance in maintaining and improving the church and the grounds surrounding the church.

As the congregation continued to grow, additional improvements were made to the church property. In 1980 the church roof was repaired and new shingles were installed. In 1983 new carpeting was laid in the sanctuary, giving the church a more modern appearance and added comfort for worship services.

In 1985 a new sound system was installed to improve the hearing of services throughout the sanctuary. This was made possible through donations and volunteer labor from members of the congregation.

In 1988 the congregation celebrated its 100th anniversary. A special centennial service was held with former pastors and guests returning to take part in the celebration. A commemorative booklet was also published to mark the occasion, highlighting the long and faithful history of St. John’s Lutheran Church.

In 1990 improvements were made to the church basement, including updated lighting and repainting of the fellowship area. This space continued to serve as an important gathering place for church meals, meetings, and social events.

In 1993 a new furnace system was installed to replace the older heating system. This upgrade helped improve energy efficiency and provided more consistent heating throughout the church building during the winter months.

In 1996 the church exterior received additional maintenance, including painting and repairs to wooden structures. Volunteers from the congregation once again contributed many hours of labor to complete the work.

In 1998 preparations began for the approaching new millennium. The congregation reflected on its long history and continued to focus on maintaining the church for future generations.

In 2000 minor updates were made to the interior of the church, including cleaning and refinishing of pews and restoration work in several areas of the sanctuary.

In 2002 additional improvements were completed on the church grounds, including landscaping and general maintenance to keep the property in good condition.

Certainly, one can see that for over around 150 years God has had His caring and loving eyes upon beloved St John's Lutheran Church. We have come from the past to the present, and now we look to the future. With God as our guide, we face the changing times with assurance that he directs us in the task to go forward and make disciples of all nations.

Service Times: Sundays 10:30AM

Address: W1294 Nauman Rd, Cecil, WI 54111